Saturday, April 18, 2009

Garage sales hooray!

Its a little early in the season still, but I've already gone garage-sale crazy. I realize that to a lot of people its uncool to go to garage sales (or uncool to admit that you go to garage sales), but I love them, especially for CLOTHES. Here is why:

#1- The price. You can usually find clothes cheaper than thrift stores and even talk the seller down on the price (if you're brave enough). I would definitely rather buy twenty items of clothing for $1 each at a garage sale than one item for $20 retail.

#2- If there is one thing I really hate, its having to spend money on wasteful things. Garage sale clothes have (usually) already been washed & dried, probably multiple times, so what you see is what you get. No "surprises" when a red shirt bleeds dye all over the rest of your laundry, or pants that are suddenly too small after you wash them.

#3- It took John about 5 years to convince me, but I have to admit, name brands are usually better quality. He talked me into buying Nike hiking shoes when we were first married and 5 or 6 years later when they still looked brand new (yes, I wore them! Lots!) I had to admit it. But I still don't want to pay retail price for them. I am very happy to buy Gap, Nike, whatever, if its at a garage sale!

#4- Kendall has been growing at an astounding rate for the past year or two. I can buy a LOT of jeans, etc for her at garage sales during the summer. I learned how to hem jeans (the right way, finally, so they don't look "hemmed"), so that helps, and I usually have enough to last the whole year. I usually spend $1 or less for each pair.

Here are my "finds" from this morning's garage sale adventures: a dress for Kendall, a jean jacket for Kendall, shoes (never worn) for me, a dry-erase/chalkboard easel! Total cost: $7.00. WOO HOO! I love it!


3 comments:

  1. CAZSH! Garage sales and thrift stores the only way to go.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore garage sales... here they are three days long on average beginning on Friday.. so if you are not working that day OR have it off you can score some serious deals right off..

    It's bargain city here.. all the prices are merely "suggestions" though I think that's a regional or maybe an economic thing...because I have definitely lived places where it was more tabooish..

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH, we love garage sales also!!! Just got a pair of saw-horses for only $5! WHOOP!

    Congrats on your finds...

    ReplyDelete