Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Scones recipe

I'm not great at remembering to update this blog, but I am good at remembering to put recipes on here when I'm afraid I'm going to lose them (which I often do).

Here is one that I want to use when we have relatives her for Thanksgiving (or possibly Christmas instead, depending on when the new baby is born!)

Recipe is from my friend Jenamarie at More Kids Than Hands. These are the only scones I've ever had that weren't dry and awful. They are awesome!

Scones:

1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup raisins (optional)

Step 1: In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.

Step 2: Preheat oven to 350* F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet (do not use a non-stick sheet. they won't cook up as well)

Step 3: In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry knife. Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Mix in the raisins.

Step 4: Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead breifly. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut into 12 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.

My tweeks to make these into Cranberry-Orange scones:

To step one, add the juice from half an orange, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.

To step 3, add the zest from one orange (the same one you juiced ;) ) when adding the sour cream and egg to the flour mixture. Add chopped dried cranberries instead of raisins.

After step 5, brush the freshly baked scones with a mixture of the juice of the other half of the orange and confectioners sugar. I don't have exact measurement of how much sugar I used, I just eye-balled it until the juice and sugar were a "glaze" type consistancy. Thick but still dripped off the basting brush when lifted into the air.

Also, I cut my scones into squares, since the 12 wedges recommended from the original recipe end up being huge!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I haven't made these in ages! I think I'll have to make a batch soon! :)

    ReplyDelete