Thursday, June 11, 2009

Can't fit in my clothes anymore / The Word of Wisdom

Ok, I've finally had enough. Something about pregnancy messes up my metabolism. When I was pregnant I couldn't gain the minimum recommended weight, but I've somehow managed to gain 20+ additional lbs in the 4 months since the baby was born. I don't mind being a "plus sized lady" so much as I'm upset that I can barely squeeeeeze into my pants.

I have an extreme dislike of fad diets. I've always disliked them, even back when I didn't have a specific reason why. I feel the same way about fad diets as I always did about smoking, drinking, and drugs. I just think they're all pointless and unhealthy. Everyone has an opinion about what is healthy and what isn't. Some say no carbs. Some say eat all one kind of food, some say combine certain foods. And on and on. Worst of all are the "diets" with PILLS, which are the ones I hate most of all, but thats a whole different post.

So, most everyone knows that Mormons don't drink alcohol, smoke, etc, but most people don't know WHY. To make a long story short, we follow what is known as "The Word of Wisdom", which is also sometimes called "The Lord's law of health". We believe that God wants us to be happy, so he helps us to know the things that are best for us. That includes giving us information about what things we should and shouldn't take into our bodies if we want to be healthy. Being healthy sure helps a person to be happy. It was revealed through modern revelation that it is good to avoid drinking alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea, and other addictive substances (like illegal drugs). This was over 170 years ago, when nearly every person drank coffee or tea and nobody gave a second thought to using tobacco or alcohol every day. No one thought of these things as being harmful, because nobody knew that they were. The thing about the Word of Wisdom is that its not just about the "DON'Ts"...

Available on LDS.org, is an article called "Cancer, Nutrition, and the Word of Wisdom" by William T. Stephenson, MD (Ensign, July 2008) He says, "Although we often consider the verses teaching us to avoid alcohol, tobacco, and hot drinks to be the most important parts of the Word of Wisdom, the larger portion of this revelation is actually devoted to teaching us what we should consume: wheat, other grains, fruits, and vegetables. Grains are mentioned repeatedly in this revelation, with special mention of “wheat for man” in verse 17.

“And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man— “Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
“Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
“And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine. “All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, …“All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; …“Nevertheless, wheat for man” (D&C 89:10–14, 16–17).

What does medical science teach us about this kind of diet? Certainly all kinds of diets are being recommended by one seeming authority or another. The diets in fashion change from year to year. Consistently over the years, however, the evidence favors a diet in keeping with the recommendations contained in the Word of Wisdom. The medical community widely accepts that a low-fat diet consisting mostly of complex carbohydrates found in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, along with limited amounts of nuts and high-protein foods like low-fat meats, is associated with lower incidences of disease and a longer life"


It seems like every couple of months there is some crazy fad diet going around whatever ward we're in. We all want to be healthier, more fit, etc, but at what price? I found a Word of Wisdom message board (hasn't been updated in several years, but I read the posts anyhow... One woman wrote, "I've seen so many women, mostly LDS, go on every fad diet that comes along. Some don't seem to follow the principles of the Word of Wisdom at all, so you have to wonder how healthy they could be" One VERY popular fad diet that has had a lot of popularity forbids all GRAINS and even most VEGETABLES & FRUIT! My parents were on this diet for over a year and they ate a stack of cheeseburger patties with mayonnaise for several meals every day. I would never say it to them, but I couldn't help but think to myself, "HOW could that possibly be healthy?"

Fad diets remind me of the phrase "blown about by every wind of doctrine" (because the foods that are good/bad are different depending on whats fashionable!). It actually kind of shocks me that people are so easily taken in by these fads.

Here is a paragraph from an article I read on this topic:
.."the Word of Wisdom (can be divided) into four sections: 1) WHY it was given; 2) the DON’Ts; 3) the DOs; and 4) the PROMISES. The first surprise is that across the American population, more people are dying as a result of not living the DO's than from imbibing the DON’Ts...The DO's prescribe a plant centered diet. The American diet is meat and dairy centered, and the consumption of meat and dairy in Utah is about 30% above the national average"

30% ABOVE the national average? Whats up with that? We talk about the Word of Wisdom at church multiple times during any given year, but I personally think that we tend to gloss over the "DO's" because either we don't think they're as important, or maybe we just don't want to think too much about them because then we'd feel guilty that we haven't really incorporated them into our lives as much as we could/should. The prospect of a grain-based diet isn't very appetizing to most people who are used to eating meat at every meal. And it is a lot easier to say "I won't take drugs" than "I will eat a balanced diet high in whole grains", mostly because one is so cut and dry (you either take drugs or you don't) and the other is less specific and flexible (what should I make for dinner today?).

About a year ago, John found a book at DI called "14 Days to New Vigor and Health - the Mormon Diet, a Word of Wisdom" by Earl F. Updike. He read the whole thing and was really excited about it. I was annoyed. Not ANOTHER fad diet! And what special foods am I going to have to buy/cook now? After a few weeks of him talking about this book, I finally read it. To my surprise, I felt really good about it. It's not a "diet", in the "I'm on a diet to lose weight before my high school reunion" sense. He does give a lot of helpful recipes and suggestions of things to eat (since following these precepts would require a MAJOR diet change for most people who aren't vegans!). He talks about why certain foods (animal derived products, including eggs & dairy) are unhealthy for humans and gives specific statistics to prove it. Shockingly, once I actually read the book, I felt that it is in keeping with the principles of Word of Wisdom.

We decided to start, but I have to admit that we didn't cut out meat and dairy 100%. We aimed for 90% less meat and dairy. It wasn't as hard as we thought. We started to feel more healthy and have more energy. We lost weight. We didn't even miss the meat after a little while. And best of all, after a few months, we were finally blessed with a pregnancy that we had been trying for unsuccessfully for over 7 years. Changing our diet was the only new change that we'd made and the only physical thing that I can attribute the pregnancy to.

Well, unfortunately, we had some major things happen in the family and we got off track. And then the previously mentioned undesirable post-pregnancy weight gain happened. I have to admit, even I, the queen of hating fad diets, was tempted to find a quick-fix. NO WAY! I WILL NOT DO IT! We're getting back on track and are going to sincerely try to get back to our goal of a 90% meat/dairy-free diet* high in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables. It may take longer to see the results I want, but at least I know that I can trust in the Lord that it is the most healthy thing for me.

*PS, I still like meat & dairy and still eat meat & dairy. Like before, I'll try to limit it to small amounts or special occaisions/circumstances! So nobody give me the stink-eye if you see me eating a hamburger at a ward picnic!!! LOL

2 comments:

  1. I"m so glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed with the focus on the "Don't's" of the WOW, and hardly any focus on the "DO's". We try to have at least 3 meatless dinners a week (and almost all our breakfasts are meatless, unless we have bacon, and most of the time my lunch doesn't include meat either). It was hard at first, but has gotten much easier, and many of my favorite recipes now are meatless.

    If I could just convince George to like tofu and lentils, I'd have a boatload of other recipes I could try. :oP

    You should post some of the recipes you use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and my mom is the queen of the fad diet. Even went on Phen-fen when I was a teen. I've sworn to never be like that. Her weight has yo-yo'd for as long as I can remember, and she's suffering for it now as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete