Wednesday, June 10, 2009

LINGO!


This Friday is the 15th anniversary of my baptism. I started learning about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the year after I graduated from high school and was baptized several weeks later (please don't do the math - I'm old!). In honor of 15 wonderful years, here is a link to an article on one of my favorite LDS-themed websites - "Mormon Chic". The article is called "LDS Lingo for Beginners," and its all about the acronyms & terms that we frequently use in the church that other people (including visitors and newer members) probably wouldn't know, such "PEC" or "fireside"...

http://www.mormonchic.com/gospel/lds_lingo.asp

John and I were recently called to be "Ward Missionaries" (which is different than the regular full-time volunteer missionaries with nametags that go door to door). Our main responsibility is being fellowshippers, which basically means helping visitors and new members feel welcome. For example, we try to make sure they know which Sunday School class to go to, introduce them to people in the ward, etc.

We also teach the Sunday School class for new members & people who are learning about the church. Every week at the end of class, we go over one term of "LDS LINGO" (two weeks ago was "investigator", last week was "home teaching / visiting teaching"), which I thought would be a fun way to introduce some of those terms that we long-timers tend to forget are unique to LDS culture.

Anyhow, check out this article, its really interesting!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love Mormonchic! All sorts of cool stuff there.

    I had no idea you were a convert! How cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww.. and here I thought it was gonna be a post about Johnny Lingo... mahana you ugly...LOL

    I loooooooove that you are adding a lingo lesson at the end of class... Those should toooooooooootally be mandatory for new members. =P

    ReplyDelete