Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Homemade Moby Wrap - Crafty gift Wednesday





I had an authentic Moby Wrap for my last baby, but hated the cost (they are $50+, depending on what fabric you get). I ended up selling it once the baby was old enough to crawl and used the money to buy something else (can't even remember what, now). Photo above is a stock photo from the Moby website to show you what I'm talking about if you aren't familiar with Moby Wraps...

Anyhow, I'm pregnant again and now have no Moby...And instead of buying another, I would just sit and think about it and fume about how much they cost (too much for being nothing more than a big piece of fabric, IMO!)

I had a thought that maybe I could make one myself - and then I did! I found a tutorial on cafemom that described how to make your own moby wrap style wrap using any stretchy knit type fabric. I was skeptical, because a lot of those types of fabric are $8 to $10 a yard (and the tutorial called for one continuous 6-yard piece of fabric!). The author claimed that she was able to buy a 6-yard piece of fabric at Walmart for $1 a yard, so I went on over there and found a stretchy pink knit on clearance for $1.50 - which was actually further reduced because all of their fabric was on additional sale for some reason - and I ended up paying less than $6.50 for the whole thing.

The best part is, if you buy the type of fabric that doesn't unravel on the edges, you don't even have to sew anything. You just BUY the fabric - thats the craft!

(PS- you can find printable wrapping instructions and instructional videos for various wrap styles on the Moby website if you need help with actually wrapping yourself & baby up!)

Go to the tutorial on cafemom by clicking here....

No comments:

Post a Comment