Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Newborn bereavement - YOU can help (Crafty Gift Wednesday)

I've had the Greyson's Gift blog on my list for a while, and every time I see it I start crying. So, maybe instead of bawling about it, maybe I should get off my rump and do something to help. Nobody wants to think about fetal demise - we don't want it to happen in our family or to anyone we know. I've personally never lost a baby, born or unborn, but I know people who have and anyone (especially mothers) can empathize with how large a loss that must be.

There are a number of organizations / groups that work to encourage donations to hospitals for babies in need, including bereavement items (such as gowns and blankets for deceased newborns). One example is the Newborns in Need organization, which is a national organization that takes donations of money and handmade items. I can't even read this website because its so heartbreaking - they also deal with donations to needy families who would otherwise leave the maternity ward without clothing for their newborn.

I kind of prefer Greyson's Gift program, because it is more grass-roots and is specific to one type of situation - fetal or newborn demise. Its run by a mother who lost her tiny 1 lb son. If you go to the website, you can read her story about how she was able to hold her deceased son but found it difficult to hold him in the (relatively) giant receiving blanket that he was wrapped in. She encourages donations of small (12 x 12" or 24 x 24") flannel blankets to hospitals who can provide them to grieving families who are caught unprepared by an unexpected fetal death or stillborn child. You can send your completed blanket donations directly to the blog owner, who arranges for them to be donated to a hospital she is working with, OR she will provide you with information on how to donate to your local hospital.

The Greyson's Gift style blanket are low cost and simple enough for someone like me (very limited sewing skills) to manage. You don't have to be able to crochet or knit - you just have to be able to sew a square! They are small blankets and nothing fancy - which is good because I can't make anything fancy!

Here is a photo of some of the sample blankets shown in the tutorial you can use for blankets:
You can see that they are just simple, two-sided flannel blankets.

I know that we already have a lot of opportunities to donate and serve, especially if you're a member of the Relief Society (our Church's women's organization), but this is something special just for this special circumstance that is sometimes overlooked.

If this would be something you might want to help with, check out the blog (the blanket tutorial is on the blog as well, on the right side of the page). I'm planning to make some blankets for donation - If you might be interested in joining me in donating some blankets locally (Longview area), please let me know and I can make the arrangements with our hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment